Financial Aid

For International Undergraduates

Decisions about financial aid for newly entering international undergraduates are made at the time of admission and are not changed for the duration of the undergraduate program. Cornell has a limited amount of funding available for international undergraduates. Financial aid is awarded to students in each entering class and is either partial or full, based on the selected student's need. It is not possible to apply for financial aid from Cornell after enrollment, so pay close attention to aid application deadlines.

Refer here for information about applying for financial aid as an international applicant.

Note: US Permanent Residents DO qualify to apply for financial aid at Cornell and can obtain applications and information at the Financial Aid Office, 203 Day Hall.

Short Term Emergency Loans for All International Students

If you are experiencing a short-term, temporary financial need of $750 or less, you may request a Short Term Emergency Loan from the ISSO. This loan is not available to pay any Bursar bills and usually must be repaid within one semester. If it is repaid within 30 days, it is not subject to any finance charge or interest. Short term loans are available to international undergraduate, graduate, and professional students.

Aid for Graduate and Professional Students

Prospective graduate students should check with the academic field to which they plan to apply in order to obtain information about the availability of fellowships, assistantships or other departmental/field support.

Cornell graduate school also has an on-line Fellowship Database that can be searched. The site contains information that the Graduate Fellowship office has on outside fellowships. Over 150 fellowships are listed!

Current graduate students in PhD programs who have lost or reduced funding for their final term of study may qualify for partial financial assistance from funds administered at the ISSO. Check with Brendan O'Brien, Director of ISSO, for more information.

Current students studying for a professional degree in the Graduate School who have completed at least two semesters of study, are in their final term of study, and who will complete all requirements for the degree by the end of the semester, may qualify for pro-rated tuition. Check with the ISSO for details.

Graduate and professional students are encouraged to talk to an advisor at the ISSO if they run into financial difficulties.

Funding Resources Outside of Cornell

National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA)

The National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA) has a terrific page on financial aid for international students. Most of the organizations and resources listed on the following page are linked to EduPass website.

NAFSA: Association of International Educators

NAFSA: Association of International Educators has a financial aid page.


FastWeb is a free scholarship searching service. Most of the scholarships are for US citizens, but it might be worth looking for those which are not restricted.

SHARE Education Loans (a Nellie Mae education loan program) are designed for parents, grandparents or other credit worthy relatives of undergraduate and graduate students. Loans of $2,000 up to the cost of education (less financial aid) can be borrowed each year. An interest-only repayment option is available. For more information call: (800) 634-9308.

Institute of International Education (IIE)

Institute of International Education (IIE): For information write to IIE, 809 United Nations Plaza, New York, NY 10017-3580; phone (212) 883-8200, fax (212) 984-5452; or visit their website.

American Association of University Women (AAUW)

The American Association of University Women (AAUW) offers graduate fellowships to women who are not citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. 

US State Department

The US State Department provides financial aid information linked to their home page. They can also be reached at: phone, (202) 619-4355, fax (202) 619-6988; or USIA, Office of Public Liaison, 301 4th Street SW, Room 602, Washington, DC 20547.

Useful Publications

Before ordering any of the following books, check the library to see if a copy is available there.

Available at the ISSO: Funding for United States Study, by C. Weeg, E. Stern and J. Bauer, published by the Institute for International Education. The ISSO has copies of this publication, however you must use it in the office (it can not be checked out). Available for $39.95 plus shipping. To order a copy, call (301) 617-7804, fax (301) 953-2838, or write IIE Books, PO Box 371 Annapolis Junction, MD 20701-0371, or send email to

College Handbook:Foreign Student Supplement, College Board Publications. Includes information about financial aid for international student at specific colleges and universities. Available for $16 plus shipping. Order from College Board Publications, Box 886, New York, NY 10101-0886.

Scholarships and Grants for Study and Research in the U.S., by W. Wickremasinghe, 2nd edition. Contains information about financial aid from colleges, U.S. foundations, and international organizations. Available for 21.95 from American Collegiate Service, PO Box 442008, Houston TX 77244, or call (714) 493-9863.

*Most of the resources listed here were collected by Michelle Buckstrup, Cornell Graduate Fellowship Office.