Skip to main content

  • Contact ISSO

  • J-1 Students: Changing Degree Level

    Application Packet

    If you change your degree level within Cornell University, you need to get a new DS-2019 from the ISSO (or your J program sponsor) BEFORE the end date currently listed on your DS-2019 (unless you have received Academic Training authorization after your degree). [Please note that as a J Student, you can change your degree level, but you ARE NOT ALLOWED to change your field while in the U.S. If you are wanting to change your field and not only your degree level, please speak to an ISSO advisor about your plans.]


    Download the application here or pick it up at the ISSO and follow the directions to complete the application. The DS-2019 will usually be issued 1 - 2 weeks after you have submitted the application.

    [NOTE: You may only complete this request for your DS-2019 AFTER you have completed the proper admission procedures with your Graduate Student Services Representative in the Graduate School or Professional school representative.]


    This procedure might extend the end date of your DS-2019 but will not extend the visa stamp in your passport. If you have an expired visa stamp in your passport, it is ok to remain in the U.S. but the next time you travel out of the U.S. and need to re-enter, you will still need to apply for a new visa stamp to re-enter the U.S.