J-1 Students: Changing Degree Level
If you change your degree level within Cornell University, you need to get a new DS-2019 from the ISSO (or your J program sponsor) BEFORE the end date currently listed on your DS-2019 (unless you have received Academic Training authorization after your degree). [Please note that as a J Student, you can change your degree level, but you ARE NOT ALLOWED to change your field while in the U.S. If you are wanting to change your field and not only your degree level, please speak to an ISSO advisor about your plans.]
HOW TO APPLY:
[NOTE: You may only complete this request for your DS-2019 AFTER you have completed the proper admission procedures with your Graduate Student Services Representative in the Graduate School or Professional school representative.]
- Download the application here or pick it up at the ISSO.
- 1. Fill out the top portion of the attached sheet and have your graduate school student services representative or your professional school representative fill out lower section. This should NOT be filled out by a professor.
- Obtain proof of your financial support (an award letter, Cornell assistantship letter, bank statement, or sponsor letter).
- Bring the above items (financial support proof and graduate or professional school certification) to the ISSO and sign in to speak to the Advisor on duty.
- Please allow one week for the ISSO to produce the new DS-2019 for your new degree level.
- The ISSO advisor will let you know by email when you can pick up your new DS-2019.
This procedure might extend the end date of your DS-2019 but will not extend the visa stamp in your passport. If you have an expired visa stamp in your passport, it is ok to remain in the U.S. but the next time you travel out of the U.S. and need to re-enter, you will still need to apply for a new visa stamp to re-enter the U.S.