Skip to main content

  • Contact ISSO

  • J-1 Students: Important Reminders when Graduating

    F-1 students who are graduating click here.

    Apply for Work Authorization BEFORE you Graduate!!

    In order to use the J-1 Academic Training work authorization available to J-1 students, you must apply at the ISSO NO LATER than your graduation date or last day as a registered student (whichever is EARLIER). Click here to read more about J-1 Academic Training.

    30 Day Grace Period to Remain in the U.S.
    but CANNOT Re-Enter

    As a J-1 student, you have a 30 day grace period after your date of graduation. During that grace period, you may remain in the U.S. but you may NOT re-enter the U.S. in J-1 Status. If you are not going to remain in the U.S. for work or another degree program and only need to re-enter the U.S. to pick up your belongings, speak to an advisor at the ISSO about the possibility of entering the U.S. in tourist status.

    Continuing at Cornell in a New Degree program

    Change of Level or Program Application Form

    If you are planning to begin a new degree program at Cornell after you graduate from one program, you MUST have a new DS-2019 issued for the new program no later than the end of the 30 day grace period. In order to get your new DS-2019, you must complete the following steps:

    Transferring to a different school for another program

    If you are planning to begin a new degree program at another U.S. college or university after graduating, you MUST contact the ISSO and let us know which school you will be attending no later than the end of your 30 day grace period. We will enter the information for your planned transfer to the new school into your electronic SEVIS record. Read more about the transfer procedure here.