Host Departments

ISSO is here to assist you with the tasks you need to complete to bring international researchers and faculty to the United States for appointments, lectures, and other visits.

Explore visa options and application procedures for international academic staff, visitors, and interns.

We can help you determine the most appropriate visa option. Please contact us well in advance of the arrival of any international visitor.

Cornell Immigration Sponsorship Policies

Cornell will act as immigration sponsor for academic positions (see list of approved titles). Most academic positions require PhDs. There are rare exceptions to this policy. For details on how to request a waiver of the policy, click here. Waivers may only be requested by a hiring unit or department. Prospective employees may not request a waiver.

Cornell will also sponsor J-1 visa status for internship positions with a duration of not more than twelve months. Those engaged in graduate-level work may utilize the J-1 Short Term or Research Scholar category, while those still pursuing and undergraduate degree, or who have graduated with an undergraduate degree within the preceding 12 months, may use the J Intern Program.

Foreign nationals who obtain work authorization independently (without Cornell sponsorship) may be appointed to either academic or nonacademic positions. Visa categories that do not require that Cornell act as petitioner/sponsor include F-1 OPT, J-1 academic training, J-2 work authorization; B-1/B-2, and TN.

Helpful Resources