Inviting Family & Friends: B2 Visa

To invite your friends and relatives (any family members other than your spouse and children) to the United States, send the documents listed below to them.

Required Documents

  • A letter of invitation written by YOU, in English, stating that you would like to invite the person for a visit. (You do NOT need a letter from any office at Cornell.) Your letter should include:
  • the purpose of the visit, e.g., to attend graduation
  • who will provide financial support for the visit
  • the length of the visit
  • Evidence of your F1 or J1 visa status such as a copy of your I-20 or DS-2019
  • If you will support the person's visit financially, you should provide evidence of financial support (a bank statement, your assistantship letter, your sponsor's letter, etc.).

Proof of Ties to Home Country

Your family members or friends should also bring “proof of ties” to home country with them when they apply for the visa stamp at the U.S. consulate, such as:

  • copies of deeds to any property (land, house, apartment) they own at home
  • bank statements of any accounts they maintain at home
  • if they are employed, they could bring a letter from that employer stating that they will return to their job after the visit to the U.S.

Visa Waiver (ESTA) Limit of 3 Months

If your family member / friend is a citizen of one of participating countries in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), they will not have to apply for a visa at a US consulate unless they want to come for MORE than 3 months.