Student Check In Instructions

Net ID, Name, SEVIS ID#, Visa Class

The top part of this form is pre-filled using the information associated with your net-ID. If any of it is not filled, please complete it.

U.S. Residential Address (where you are currently living while at Cornell):

International Services must report the physical address of where you are living in the U.S. This must be where you live, not a post office box where you only receive mail. Please include the street address AND the apartment or room number. If you are living in a dorm, include the dorm name and your room number. If you don't know where you'll be living, enter the address of where you are staying now (for example, a hotel, a hostel, a friend's or relative's home). Immigration regulations require you to update your address within 10 days each time you move to a new residence.


We are also REQUIRED to include a U.S. phone number for you. If you do not yet have one, please include the phone number of your Cornell department or advising office.  

US I-94 Arrival or "Admission" Record:

You can access information on your arrival (called “admission”) into the U.S. at OR  you may have an small white card stapled into your passport at the port of entry (usually land ports only). You should print out the online admission record (“most recent entry” page) and keep it with your immigration documents.

“Admission (I-94) Record Number": 11-digit number printed on your entry record. Occasionally this has a different number of digits, and that is okay.

“Most Recent Date of Entry”: This is the date you entered the U.S. and is listed on your I-94 admission record and on the date stamp in your passport: 

“Class of Admission” listed on your I-94 Admission Record: This should be F1 or J1. If you entered the U.S. in a status other than F1 or J1 (for example, B2 Tourist or B- Prospective Student or under the Visa Waiver or Global Entry Program), and you have NOT applied for a change of status, come to International Services immediately with your I-20 or DS-2019, passport, and I-94 entry record.

“Admit until Date”: Does your I-94 Admission Record state "D/S"? On the line labeled “Admit until Date,” your entry record should state “D/S,” which stands for "Duration of Status.” If your record does not state D/S, please come to International Services as soon as possible, and bring your passport and I-20 / DS-2019 with you. Note: “D/S” means that while you are a student, you are legal to remain in the U.S., provided that you comply with the regulations AND keep your I-20 or DS-2019 valid by extending it before the end date listed on your I-20 or D-2019.

Emergency Contact

In case of emergency, whom in the world should we call? This contact can be anywhere and does NOT have to be inside the U.S.

Certification: Please remember these regulations!!!!!!

What's Next?

Check out information about getting settled in Ithaca here.

Any Questions? Come visit us at International Services.

  • Always enroll FULL-TIME during the academic year (undergraduates must enroll for a minimum of 12 credit hours; graduate students must be registered full time as defined by your degree program).
  • APPLY FOR EXTENSION OF I-20 / DS-2019 BEFORE the end date if you need more time to complete program.
  • GET A TRAVEL SIGNATURE within the last 12 mos (6 mos. if Canadian or on OPT) before traveling outside of the US (page 3 of I-20, lower right of page 1 of DS-2019).  Come to International Services for the travel signature (or the Cornell Tech office if you are a Cornell Tech student).
  • Update your LOCAL RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS within 10 days of moving by updating our online change of address form.
  • NEVER work off-campus without PRIOR authorization. Discuss off-campus work authorization with one of our advisors. (You may work on campus up to 20 hrs per week while enrolled.)