Here is some useful information to help you when you need to travel in and out of the U.S. when you are traveling to Cornell for the first time, while you are enrolled at Cornell, or even while you are working after graduation. Our advisors are ready to help if you have further questions.

Drop-in Advising Hours

Monday–Friday: 10:00–12:00 and 1:00–4:00

Your visa status is not the same as the visa in your passport!

Except for Canadians, all international students apply at the U.S. consulate for an entry visa stamp. This stamp is only used to enter the country. Once you are in the United States, you are allowed to stay—even after the entry visa in your passport expires—as long as you maintain valid visa status.

Traveling Outside of the United Sates